Every time a stimulus check hits someone’s checking account, a new pyramid scheme is born..
Or at least that seems to be case based on what I’ve seen on my timeline. Pyramid schemes have always been annoying for many reasons. Not only are they illegal, but, more importantly, they are a complete waste of money and time. Pyramid schemes often preys on the young, old and most vulnerable (especially people of color), financially, by relying on the recruitment of new members to bring in money. 99% of the time, the schemes collapse when the pool of potential recruits dries up.
And now that pyramid schemes are beginning to pop up on social media timelines more than the “putting makeup brush on your phone camera and boom, you are a whole new person” challenge, I feel the need to warn people. Warn people that like COVID-19, Pyramid schemes are coupled with symptoms. These symptoms include:
- Stressing to you that it is not a scam
- Turning “y” amount of money into “x” amount of money as long as you give them the “y” amount
- Promise of high return in a short period of time
- Misspelled words
- There is no product, good or service sold
- There is a high emphasis on recruiting
- A circle-type graph
- Side Note: They have done away with pyramid graphs because it’s too obvious
- A follow up post after potential recruits are not biting on the scheme by shaming those who are not “getting this free money”
- Another follow up post flashing $100 bills which symbolizes how much you are missing on, again, this “free money”
Now, I must warn you that symptoms may vary. However, with stimulus checks hitting peoples checking accounts, it is no coincidence that pyramid schemes are also hitting peoples social media feed.
Oh, and be on the look out for these “you can start a business with $1,200” folks too. They aren’t necessarily trying to scam you but they usually have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.
Leslie McLemore writes about a lot of different shit for Black With No Chaser. He is also the Takeaway Kang and is the father of two beautiful girls, one of which gets on every nerve he has. The other one is sweet. So, you know, balance.
Follow him on Facebook and Twitter.